Wednesday, May 14, 2008

San Diegans: CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!

Who Knew? Getting the FLU in the Merry Month of May!? I certainly didn't expect this. I was completely blindsided with it this morning. Not that anyone is ever really ready to get the flu, but some inkling that it's going around town would have been nice. I would have washed my hands more often.
So you won't be caught unaware, I'll let you know what to expect if the dreaded virus finds you. You'll wake up with a bit of a headache, and all of your muscles will ache like you did too much stretching at Pilates' class (at least that is what I thought). In a couple of hours, you will begin to feel like you have been run over by a truck. Every joint in your body will be screaming at you. You will have no choice but to lie down after taking as many pain relievers as you deem safe. The headache! You won't know what hurts worse: your head or your bones. Did I mention the chills? That's what will clue you in that this is serious business and you cannot (and should not) go about your normal day. It can be 80 degrees outside and you will be shivering and feel the need to burrow under a blanket.
After several hours of shivering and moaning, and probably too many pain relievers for your liver to handle, your fever will break. The best part is that your head will no longer feel that it is ready to split (where the term "splitting headache" came from, I'd guess). You'll begin to perspire and will need to grab a glass of ice water. Apparently this means the fever has "broke." I do hope that that is a good thing and that it won't glue itself back together and strike again once all those pain relievers wear off.
Then, you will pray. You will pray that this is the "24-hour flu" and not some tortuous Asian variety that we read about during flu season that keeps its victims in bed for a week. By the way, when exactly does flu season end? For all of your sakes, I hope it ends with me.

No comments: